Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Geethanjali and Amma Karunamayi

Recently, Amma Karunamayi visited Cleveland. Myself, my husband Rao and my grand daughter Geethanjali went to have Her blessings. We were approaching the Church door and saw the van coming. We just waited and thought it was proper to have Her go in first. Someone put a garland around Her neck and Geethanjali had 3 jasmine flowers in her hand which she wanted to give at the individual blessings time. Instead, she walked over and offered them to Amma and every one was so thrilled at the sight. As Amma approached the door, I had it wide open for her, feeling grateful for that opportuniy. She looked at me with a beautiful smile and asked "baagunnara amma?" in Telugu. Meaning Are you alright (= How are you?) After she went in, I paid $36.00 to their organisation for Amma to write the Saraswathi Beejaashram on Geethanjali's tongue during individual darsan. They gave her a yellow thread with a pendant hanging on which you could see pictures of Saraswathi on one side and that of Amma on the other. She wore it around her neck.

There was a speech and Srichakram abhishekam first.

It was a long wait for the five year old. Finally, when our turn came, we three approached Amma. I gave an index card with a question written. Geethanjali wrote her name 'Anjali' on her card and gave it to Her.
She blessed us by putting Her hand on our head and pressing it.

Amma wrote the saraswathi beeja akshram on the little one's tongue with a Tulasi (sacred basil) stem.

Now comes the interesting part. Geethanjali, with full reverence, spoke in Telugu. Asked Amma "nenu Durga suktham neyrchukunnanu, naanna nerpadu naaku, inka yemi neyrchukomantaru, Amma?" (Meaning = I learned 'Durga Suktham', my father taught me and what do you want me to learn more, amma?') Amma took it very seriously and replied "Saraswathi, Medha suktham neyrchuko" (meaning = 'Saraswathi, learn Medha suktham'). Anjali nodded her head. Turning to me, Amma said "ammayi chaala humble"= this girl is very humble/polite.

I was filled with happiness. And I felt really proud of Geethanjali.

No comments: