Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

OLD IS GOLD, but, NEW IS GOLD too - Friends, relatives and family

The special tone to this particular Yatra was that I spent some quality time with some of my friends and family whom I haven't seen in years. Even though my post title says "old is gold", I met some young men and women, strangers who became very close to the heart. So, NEW IS GOLD too.

On Dec 9th, when I attended a wedding in Nellore from my side of the family, I had such a happy reunion with so many of my cousins, friends, extended family and so on. Some of whom I saw after 5o years. We would not have recognized each other if we had met on the road. But we all were very happy to see and to chat.

In Rajahmundry, I could spend time with a friend of mine and her son's family. I met her first time in 1962. In later years she attended both my children's weddings. I met all her three grown children. It was another awesome reunion. We talked to each other many times afterwards. Her son and daughter-in-law are angels!!!!

I met a cousin from my father's side of the family in Vijayawada. I have seen him only three times in my whole life. The first time was in the 50s and the second time in the 70s (he came to my in-law's place to see me) and the third time in Dec 2012 during my Andhra yatra (he came to the hotel room with one of his sons and was able to meet my husband also). He told me that his mother was very fond of all us sisters. I told him that my father was very fond of his mother, who was father's uncle's youngest daughter.

The strangers I met - one young man who helped us in Allahabad Kumbh Mela came all the way from Lucknow and went out of his way to make us comfortable and because of him we felt so safe during the Mela. He was God sent. I had to brush up on my Hindi. He spoke no other language. I very much want to meet his wife one day.

Next we spent quality time with two wonderful families in Maharashtra. One in Mahur area and the other in Parli area. Both have the same last time, but are not related. There was a lot I learned from those young families. The affections in the extended families, respect for the elders, unity between brothers and their wives, the simplicity in the way they all lived and so on. They did not speak any English. So, my fluency in spoken Hindi had to be improved. Their little children spoke only Marathi. So, we used sign language there.

I was able to connect with my grand father's brother's great grandson over the Internet and phone. But could not meet him and his family in person even though they lived in Andhra pradesh..

In addition to all this, we met an American from California and his Hawaiian wife on the train, on our way back to Chennai from Varanasi on the Rameswaram Express. He gave me many leads for voluntary teaching etc. They were on their pilgrimage of some service activity in their Catholic Mission.

Last, but not the least, I have to mention that we met two of my friend and travel companion Nirmala's relatives. They were very affectionate family. The way one young man came home from work during lunch break and took care of the needs of his physically disabled father. I admired his patience and love. In this modern world, there are still some families like that.

I thank God for sending all these special souls into my path.

On my way to Hyderabad from Tirupathi on the train, I met another interesting person. That experience was different and so, I will write about it in my next post.


No comments: