Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Chardham

We found the package. Decided on using Garhwal Travel agency. The places included Gangothri, Yamunothri, Kedarnath and Badrinath. It was a 10 day tour. We flew from Boston by British Airways on May 17th, 2006 evening to arrive in Chennai early hours of the 19th. Nirmala met us in Chennai and she booked accommodation at the TTD place in T. Nagar, Chennai. Our flight to Delhi was on 22nd morning. We left our heavy luggage at Mohan's place. The domestic airlines allowed very little weight. We were planning to extend the trip for another week after leaving the group. So, we really had to be very careful in choosing what to take with us.

We flew to New Delhi from Chennai and took a Taxi from the airport to Rishikesh. Nirmala booked the rooms at the local TTD(Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanam) fecility. The journey felt very long due to the cold and fever I had. I dozed off in the back seat of the car. I don't remember how long it took us to reach Rishikesh.

It was very clean and beautiful as we entered. The rooms at the TTD were very comfortable. One had an attached bathroom. I looked through the window and was thrilled to see the Temple Gopuram.

I would like to add that the following was my first mail to my friends and family in the USA.

"We reached Hrishikesh yesterday evening. Due to severe cold and fever, I could not get out to send the mail. Tomorrow, 24th our package tour begins. I will be in touch again soon. So far, the trip had been good. The weather is just right. No good coffee - so I am drinking tea once a day. The other two are fine. For those who don't know, myself, my husband and my friend Nirmala are on this tour. She brought the cold home. Now it is Rao's turn.

We are staying near TTD temple. Through the windows, I can see the temple. I woke up with Temple bells and beautiful music. This did not happen in my life since I was 12 years old."

No comments: