Pages

Monday, April 14, 2008

Shopping in Varanasi

I need to mention about the shopping we did in Varanasi (Benaras).
Besides fruits, coconut, flowers etc. as an offering in the Temples, we bought small brass idols of Annapoorna.
The guide that was allocated to us, took us to specific shops for our purchases.
In the evening, he took us to a silk saree place. It was an old building with narrow staircase to go upstairs. Three men were involved in showing us the latest variety in Benaras silk sarees. One of them would bring them in batches and the other two would display and try to impress us with their description of each saree. Nirmala and Rao started quickly on deciding which ones I should buy. I felt that the prices were high even though it was the source!!! The colors and patterns were not to my liking. Between the sales persons and my companions, I just wanted to finish the shopping. I told myself that only four of them were for the close family and I picked them. I let them pick the rest. In total, I purchased thirteen.
The package was big. Since we were going to Calcutta later and fly to Chennai from there, we remembered our weight limitations on the domestic flights in India. They agreed to ship it by courier service to Mohan's address in Chennai and guaranteed delivery within a week. (They did keep that end of the bargain and let us use our charge card).

Our next destination was Allahabad (Prayaga).

2 comments:

kaushik said...

iam harish and i have seen your blog it is splendid . i hope you will continue about your trip in trichy also...................

Unknown said...

Glad you like it Harish. I still have three more posts to write. Then I will begin the Tamilnadu yatra.