Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Finally in Amarnath - a continuation of Aug 11 post

Now it is real. Within a few minutes, we landed and as soon as we walked a few yards, we were surrounded by the Doley carriers. They were a team of four. Noor warned us that depending upon the demand, they may ask up to 10,000 rupees for the return trip. Rao and Bhuvana decided to trek the 5 to 6 kilometers. The rest of us decided to go on a doley (pallaki). The first one asked for 3500 rupees. I felt it was quite reasonable - four of them have to share that money. Bhuvana was ready with her bargaining skills. I suggested that she can discuss other things, but not money reduction with them. So, she strictly told them that they will be paid only after our safe return, not a paisa before. They happily agreed. I don't know about the other two, but my carriers started praising me, calling me 'mother' immediately. I knew that they were mentally preparing me to give them a big tip at the end of the journey. That was another thing I noticed in India. The ride was good. The traffic was diversified - pallakis, trekkers, horse back riders. The military soldiers were controlling the traffic very efficiently. There were continuously crying children, fighting and arguing families and some happy faces throughout the journey. The carriers asked for some hard candy to suck on. I did not have any. They wanted tea and biscuits on the way. Tea was 30 rupees per cup. Tea and biscuits at another point was 120 rupees. Mind you, no restrooms anywhere. But, feel free to discharge anywhere you like. Absolutely no sanitation awareness.

I was able to see Rao and Bhuvana here and there for a while. Then, we were separated. Nirmala's pallaki was close to mine. But no sign of Umamaheswaran's.

We reached the last few steps to the Holy Lingam. One of them helped me all the way to the front of the lingam by holding my arm and shoulder. Some took off the shoes - I did not. The lingam was about 10 feet in height. We were able to stand and have good darsan for a few minutes, in spite of the pushing crowd. The priests gave me two coins as prasadam. Another blessed me by applying sindhoor on my forehead. By the way, as soon as we arrived there, I saw the flying dove. I wonder what the significance of that is!!!
Both Nirmala and myself were quite satisfied with our darsan and our helpers, who kept reminding me that they are like my children. Now, we came down the few steps and got onto the pallaki for the downward journey.
I took atlest 10 photos of the Ice Lingam from the place where we parked the doley. Surprisingly, not a single photo showed up in the Camera. All the other photos are there. Any explanation? The battery is intact!!!

No comments: