Pages

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dravidian and about me!!

In my previous post and some other posts I mentioned that the architecture was Dravidian style. For some of my friends, who are not familiar with the term Dravidian, at this point I wanted to see the documents about who they are and what are some of the the languages of the Dravidians. Among many of us there is a misconception about this. Recently, someone told me that I am a Dravidian (since Tamil is my mother tongue) whereas they are Aryans since their tongue is Telugu (even gave me the meaning of Aryans as superior people). I am very happy to be a Dravidian. I can speak, read and write Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Hindi and English, of course. I can read Malayalam, but understand only some. My strength is in Telugu and English languages. My conclusion - all these four languages are Dravidian ones. Click on the highlighted words and read for yourselves. Please feel free to share your knowledge - all readers!!

2 comments:

Gopal said...

I find the assertion that Telugu people are Aryan but Tamils are Dravidian to be questionable at best and ridiculous at worst. I know of no credible research that could support this. Realistically speaking, there is most likely a significant mixture in both cultures. Why would Telugus, who speak a language that is closer to Tamil than it is to any other language group, be of completely different ancestry? I am proud to be both, or neither, as the case may be.

Ramya said...

I have also heard the assertion that people of the four southern languages (Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Malayalam) are Dravidian, but that the Brahmin caste of these languages is Aryan in origin. Although the theories are interesting, I think it's important to realize that they are just that -- theories.