Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Swamimalai etc.

Nirmala's research and list said that we visit atleast six Subrahmanya Swami (Murugan) Temples. Swamimalai was one of them - which being close to Kumbakonam, we covered in this trip. There are many in the Southern states of India. I remember the following names in Tamilnadu: Tiruparamkundram, Thiruchendur, Swamimalai (Swaminatha Swami), Palani (Dandayudhapani) and Tiruthani Temples. When my sister was working as a professor in Palani, I visited the Palani Subrahmanya Temple, the first time. When we were students in SV University, Nirmala and I visited the Tiruttani temple a few times. Thiruchendur Murugan Temple, I visited with my children and my friend Sulochana in 1987.

Swamimalai temple: This is about 10 km from Kumbakonam. The story goes that this is where Murugan taught the meaning of "OM" to His father Lord Shiva. This was the first time I came here. His consorts are Valli and Devayani. This is another thing that intrigued me. In Andhra, we say Devasena not Devayani. Also, Devayani was Sukra's (the guru of Demons = raakshsasa) daughter who married the king Yayati. for those who want to know more, please click on the names. It is a long story and from the epic Mahabharata.


Thiruvalansuzhi Vinayakar Temple: Actually, this is more of Shiva Temple, but is famous for the Vinayaka sculpture which is white in color. Normally, all the statues are black or dark slate color (For those of you who don't know). This is located about 4 kms from Kumbakonam and is very close to Swamimalai. The speciality of this Temple is that the river Kaveri (Cauvery) prayed to Lord Siva by doing apradakshinam (doing pradakshinam from right to left. Normally in any Temple, we do it from left to right, which is clockwise)) The name for lord Siva in this temple is "Sadai mudi nathar".

Most of the Tamilians know about Avvaiyar, a great devotee of Murugan. I still remember my father taking me (when we were visiting my relatives in Chennai) to see this movie about her devotion and how Lord Muruga came in the form of a young boy to test her devotion. In those days, I did not understand much Tamil. But, we both had interest in listening to the music. She was a poetess also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Padma, in Tamil, the name is known as Deivaanai...
Murali